Monday, October 4, 2010

Evan Turner may play back point guard in Sixers

Evan Turner may play back point guard in Sixers


Right now, Evan Turner's fantasy value as a rookie looks shaky, according to daily news in Philadelphia, Evan Tuner may play as a backup point guard for the 76ers this season, a position he isn't all too familiar with, considering he played more of a shooting guard/small forward role at Ohio State.


After Lou Williams in wizards jerseys and Turner in john wall jersey struggled together in the back court, Collins decided to switch things up a little, moving Williams to the two and Turner to the point. Head coach Doug Collins in michael jordan wizards jersey feels that Turner is more comfortable with the ball in his hands, and described him as a "facilitator." This doesn't ease our concerns about Turner's adjustment to the NBA, and it doesn't sound like he's ready to start at scoring guard. Here's what Collins in tar heels jerseys told the Philadelphia Daily News about his decision to do so: "What I saw was when Lou and Evan were together, when Lou was on the ball and Evan was off, they struggled, because Evan in north carolina tar heels jerseys wasn't sure and Lou didn't do a very good job of getting us into our stuff," Collins in dallas mavericks jersey said. "Then we moved Evan in mavericks jerseys to the ball and moved Lou and they both were good. So you can see where they're most comfortable right now. Turner in dirk nowitzki jersey at the one sounds a bit strange, but he seems to finally be in good spirits according to his head coach, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.


Ollins in jason kidd jersey and Turner are satisfied with his progress. "I feel like a vet now," Turner said after yesterday morning's practice in Hagan Arena at Saint Joseph's. "I'm doing all right. I'm getting used to the speed of the game, and people are so strong sometimes it takes a little more wear and tear on your body than it did in college. But it's going well." Handling the ball was something he did well in college. Now, playing off the ball at the pro level is a process. "He's picking his spots, he's shooting the ball well," Collins in denver nuggets jersey said. "More importantly, he's having fun. It's like the light's gone on and he's having fun. He's joyous and smiling and I'm seeing energy. I think some of the weight's been lifted. I think when he's gotten with all of our good players in nuggets jerseys, I don't think he feels like all eyes are on him. I think, early, everything he was doing he felt like everyone was watching every step he was making. Now he can fit into the group and not feel like the microscope is on him all the time."


But Turner took his schooling in Orlando to heart. He wasn't happy about the fact that a workout-free couple of months between the end of his junior season with the Buckeyes and draft day left him out of shape. So he arrived in camp 10 pounds lighter and ready for action. And Collins saw in Turner in carmelo anthony jersey a guy so obsessed with every possession at both ends that he had to talk the kid down from the peak of frustration a few times.

I did not see that coming. I mean, sure, Turner has the potential, but he went from a 3/2 to a 2/3 and now to a 2/1 or 1/2. That's dizzying. It's an intriguing idea, though, considering Turner does have scoring ability through the roof but also had great assist and rebounding numbers at Ohio State. With better teammates, working him as a creator on-ball might be the best option. It goes to show how Collins is getting outside the box with the kid's development and honestly, breathes a bit of light into a franchise that's on unstable ground as it enters the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment